Monday, November 5, 2007

Cherie 'lacks awareness of Islamic culture'

Mona Al Merri, Chairperson of the Board of Directors at the Dubai Women's Establishment, said that although she did not believe the face veil to be religiously obligatory, she said it was a personal choice for women, which is not restrictive. "A woman's face is not forbidden to be shown. The niqab was imposed because of traditions and extremist fatwas," she said.

Statements made by Cherie Blair about the face veil were made out of lack of awareness of Islamic culture but responsibility to protect Islam's image rests on Muslims, said prominent Emirati women.
[Full Story]

Read More:
Cherie Blair: my doubts about the Muslim veil - Telegraph.co.uk (2007-11-02)
Cherie Blair has questioned whether the full-face veil restricted Muslim women from being "people in their own right". The wife of the former Prime Minister said full veils, such as the niqab or burqa, could prevent a woman from expressing her personality.

To sisters who are wearing niqab, are you happy wearing it ?

About Me

My photo
I wear a veil (niqab) whenever the situation permitted me to do so. I will only take off my niqab when I really have no choice. There are many controversy regarding wearing niqab in public places. I created this blog to collect niqab related stories, experience, photos...etc. I wanted to know more how other Muslim women who are wearing niqab adapt to today's world, especially those sisters in Western countries. Sometimes, I will quote a few sentences from or take a photo from website or blog that I find interesting. If you find your site contents in this blog and felt offended, please kindly drop me an email, I will remove it from my blog immediately.